GENERAL SUMMARY/ OVERVIEW STATEMENT:
Under the direction of the Executive Director, serves as a key member of the health center's leadership team, responsible for the daily operations of high-quality, customer-focused, patient services, across multiple clinical and patient support services departments to ensure effective and efficient provider patient encounters.
Manages the safety and security of a 22,500 sq. ft. off-campus facility. Responsibilities include: space management, facilities management/maintenance, housekeeping, equipment and supplies management, safety and security, communications systems, storage, computer systems. Works closely with outside building management company to ensure that all building management functions are coordinated and effective.
* Oversees the scheduling function for all clinical departments; defines scheduling templates and protocols, and manages systems for implementation of short term and long term scheduling changes. Works with the Medical Director, Nursing Director and Executive Director to have scheduling policies correspond to the needs of providers and the strategic direction and interests of the organization.
* Works with the Nursing Director and Medical Director to create and implement patient flow protocols that optimally organize the patient visit with coordinated participation of all relevant staff.
* Supervises the Managed Care Supervisor, who is responsible for patient accounts, registration systems; and enrollment of patients in coverage programs. Keeps abreast health care coverage program changes and updates, enforces policies and procedures and participates in developing departmental policies.
* Supervises Practice Coordinator, who in turn supervises medical records staff, updates and carries out medical records and correspondence procedures.
* Leads improvement projects within the health center that involve both operations and clinical systems.
* Represents the health center externally, within the larger organization and externally. Maintains an understanding of the health center's public health and community health meeting.
* Must be able to manage diverse staff functions, define operational issues, problem solve and maintain high level of service to clients and clinical staff.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
* Responsible for direct supervision of center-wide support staff (12.6 FTE's): Front Desk, , Registration, Managed Care Supervisor, Practice Coordinator and Facility Mechanic; and indirect supervision of Financial Counselors (4 FTE) and Medical Records (.8 FTE) Also manages contracted staff in Housekeeping. Interviews, recommends for hire, trains, and monitors and evaluates the performances.
* Responsible for ensuring high quality service through work of staff.
* Coordinates and oversees the daily flow of work, manage assignments and coverage
* Identifies problems and takes appropriate corrective action.
* Holds staff accountable to meet standards and goals.
* Responds to, investigates and resolves staff and patient complaints and questions.
* Responsible for the ongoing maintenance and improvement of the Center's physical safety/security and environment, ensuring compliance to regulatory requirements including Joint Commission, DPH, and OSHA. This includes maintenance of Fire and Safety System, building and grounds service and repair upkeep.
Facility & Supply Management
* Sets standard for ensuring high quality environment and cleanliness of all areas/aspects of building, ensures that standards are in compliance to regulations regarding clinical care facilities. Monitors regularly to ensure these standards are met and implements change as needed to improve or meet these.
* Ensures effective partnerships with facilities management company CBRE, and all other vendors who provide services related to facility, telephone, computer, medical equipment, and medical supplies.
* Manages all center-wide supplies and equipment, ensuring that they are both available and in sound working condition and/or ample supply to guarantee high quality patient care, ensuring no interruption to patient flow.
* Oversees purchase of medical supplies
* Oversees main operator/front desk functions, ensuring timely and helpful reception of all incoming calls.
* Monitors mail procedures and delivers of packages.
* Chairs the SJPHC Safety Committee. Convenes and prepares a meeting of the committee routinely. Follows up on identified issues.
Fiscal/Budget Management Responsibilities
In collaboration with the Executive Director, works with all department managers to coordinate the management of non-personnel spending, including equipment and medical supplies.
Helps develop center-wide Capital Budgets, working with clinical directors and executive leadership.
Financial Management and Patient Registration
* Manages and supervises the work of the Managed Care Supervisor to ensure that Credit and Collection policies, procedures, and standards for performance are maintained and administered in an equitable and consistent manner.
* Ensures compliance with established regulatory requirements.
* Ensures that Financial Counselors meet annual recertification requirements.
* Maintains CAC Organization and ensures all related training and certification requirements of a CAC Organization are met; partnering closely with BWH Patient Financial Services, Partners Community Health Benefits Department & the Mass League of Community Health Centers on state program changes, renewals, and open enrollment and applicable contract changes.
* Ensures applicable registrations work queues are accurately and timely maintained.
* Establishes coordinated communication between managed care, clinical, practice assistants, medical records, and other support staff to ensure timely and appropriate response to clients, payors, and other institutions.
* Monitors the external referral work queues to ensure timely turnaround time on scheduling and generating of insurance referrals and/or prior authorizations when needed.
* Oversees all aspects of patient records via electronic health record, management of patient information and adherence to established policies/ procedures and protection of confidentiality.
* Provides assistance and training to staff in each clinical area for developing and inputting schedule templates based on clinical departmental guidelines, ensuring protection of steady and sound revenue flows.
* Assists Leadership in evaluating existing programs and in developing new ones.
* Manages and supervises the work of the Practice Coordinator, who supervise the Health Information Specialist and Medical Records Coordinator.
* Ensure adherence to all regulatory requirements including HIPAA when conducting release of information.
* Provides guidance and support on unique patient and third party requests for records. Work closely with Risk Management and Office of General Counsel when required.
* Monitors appropriate charge fees and collections when appropriate.
* Collaborates with BWH Health Information Services and Brookside Community Health Center to ensure consistent best practices across departments.
* Ensures all applicable work queues are accurately and timely maintained.
* Collaborates closely with BWH Health Information Services and Partners' EMPI records team to accurately document information in patient records including; deceases, legal name changes, legal sex change, record restrictions, etc.
* Serves as key first line manager for patient complaints; handles complaints, identifies system or personnel issues, fosters communication to resolve identified issues.
* Provides periodic customer service training to staff.
* Functions as the central leader for the organization in managing all clinical schedules. Ensures that schedules meet the complex needs of patients, providers and the organization. Trains other staff in scheduling tasks, assigns and delegates tasks, and reviews schedules on a regular basis.
* Ensures that short term schedule adjustments are made for provider vacations and absences and any rescheduling occurs in a timely way.
* Makes long-term schedule changes for providers. Maps support staffing for provider clinics and ensures that provider and patients schedules are appropriately supported by medical assistants and practice assistants.
Supervision of Practice Assistants
* Responsible for hiring, training, and supervising Practice Assistants for all clinical areas.
* Reviews and revises as necessary all procedures for reception of patients, signing in and signing out for patient visits, answering phones, and responding to Patient Gateway messages.
* Identifies and resolves problems as they arise in the day to day functioning of all clerical support staff.
* Leads operation and quality improvement projects within the operations scope, and projects that also involve clinical services.
* Serves as a member of the Senior Management Team. Assumes and carries out center-wide responsibilities and tasks as they relate to the whole organization, including planning, prioritizing, identifying issues, and leading special initiatives. When in the building, serves as one of the center-wide senior leaders responsible for managing any type of urgent situation that may arise at the center. Represents the health center externally, within the larger organization and externally.
* Performs other duties as assigned.
* Bachelor's degree or equivalent work experience.
* Five years' supervisory experience
* Three years' experience with health center operations.
SKILLS/ ABILITIES/ COMPETENCIES REQUIRED:
* Ability to work independently; must have good judgment skills, be organized and able to take initiative, demonstrate sensitivity and tact.
* Strong interpersonal and communication skills. Position requires contact with patients, professional staff, other management staff in the center, BWH/Partners staff and external colleagues, community organizations, etc. Position requires understanding of, and ability to effectively interact with, low-income urban populations and people of color.
* Knowledge of health center operations and patient flow
* Knowledge of quality improvement methods and ability to use data for quality improvement projects
* Familiarity with billing/coding, managed care, financial management, and accounts receivables.
* Excellent organizational skills and an ability to identify and solve problems.
* Fluency in Spanish preferred.
Associated topics: biomedical, cytometry, histology, kinesiology, metabolism, nephrology, nutrition, pharmacology, therapeutic, trauma